Coke Memorial Methodist Church
Our present building was built in 1882 as a memorial to Dr Thomas Coke, but there has been a Methodist Chapel in the village since 1808.
Rev Coke had been Curate at the Parish Church from 1770 till 1776 when he was ejected by the parishioners who resented his evangelical style of preaching. He then offered his services to John Wesley, initially as secretary and assistant, but then as missionary to the American Methodists, who in due course appointed him as their bishop. Rev Coke “commuted” across the Atlantic (by sailing ship) nine times, and travelled extensively on horseback.
He died in 1814 on a very rough journey to Sri Lanka.
The blue plaque showing where he lived can be found in St James Street.
Our Building and History